Skip to main content

Cold Laser Research

Clinical Studies Support Cold Laser Therapy

The ML830 cold laser has the most scientific research and clinical studies supporting its effectiveness, more than any other therapeutic laser in the world. Over 300 clinical studies and over 2000 published articles speak to the validity and efficacy of cold laser therapy.

The ML 830 has conducted double blind studies with General Motors and Baylor College of Medicine as part of its clinical trials.

General Motors was part of the original ML830 Laser clinical studies, testing all employees at their Flint Michigan plant who suffered from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. GM found it to be 70 to 80% effective, when compared to those treated with a dummy laser or with physiotherapy. Nearly 80% of the people in the study went back to work, while the other 20 percent experienced some improvement.

A randomized double-blind trial involving 173 patients at Baylor College of Medicine, and two other sites, Woodlands and Clymer Healing Research Centers, showed an 80% success rate and further demonstrated the efficacy of the ML830 in relieving pain and improving functionality for individuals suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).

A study in the August 2000 Journal of Rheumatology compared the outcomes of laser therapy used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis treated with laser therapy had a 70% reduction in pain compared to the placebo group. There was also significant improvement in morning stiffness and hand flexibility.

In another study, a group of subjects with chronic tendinopathies, that had been previously treated unsuccessfully with physical therapy, NSAIDS, local injections, and/or surgery, had an 87% success rate in pain reduction following the use of cold laser therapy.

Another study was performed involving more than 4,000 subjects suffering from conditions such as degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis), muscle pain, and tendinitis. More than 80 percent of the subjects found a significant decrease in their symptoms following laser treatment.

In a study involving over 100 subjects and over 500 laser treatments, it was observed that acute soft tissue pain syndromes showed a dramatic response following the initial laser treatment with a marked reduction in tissue swelling, bruising, and pain relief. Subsequent treatments (2-3) produced further improvement. It was also noted that chronic pain syndromes were slower to respond to cold laser therapy (average of eight treatments), although 75 percent of the subjects noted significant pain relief.

A two-stage survey of 116 chartered physiotherapists in Northern Ireland, who utilize cold laser treatment as part of their clinical practice, ranked the cold laser’s to be effective for the treatment of myofascial and postoperative pain syndromes; rheumatoid arthritis; muscle tears; hematomas; tendinitis; shingles; herpes simplex; scarring; burn and would healing. In this same survey, cold laser treatment was ranked first, on the basis of relative effectiveness, when compared with four other therapeutic modalities used regularly for pain relief and wound healing.

These are just some examples; more research can be viewed at Microlight’s website (Manufacturer):